Sunday, February 22, 2009

Tom Joad - Day 11, still mile 2,493.9, Damn I feel old...

I timed my arrival into Denton, TX perfectly last night, because I awoke this morning to a very windy 41 degree day. I could only imagine how difficult it would have been trying to cross the western Texas desert in 50mph gusting winds had I delayed my arrival in Denton by one day. I spent the morning inspecting and servicing my BMW for the long ride home. Besides adding a little chain lube and some bug splatter clean up, the bike is ready for the long haul home.

I spent the day getting reacquainted with Aunts, Cousins, and their loved ones. It was good to see everyone again after twenty-some-odd years of abscence. I was amazed to meet some of my Cousins children, ( which makes them my second-cousin ???). One is a very large 15 year old high school football player, Tommy, who is very bright, has a terrific sense of humor, and has a promising sports career ahead of him. Another second cousin was Madison, an adorable and extremely intelligent 6 year old who obviously has the charisma to charm the pants off of anyone she meets. I was terrific getting to meet and speak with all of them for the day. I did feel somewhat guilty for not staying better involved in the family developments over the past twenty years. I obviously missed a lot. Hopefully this trip will inspire me to stay in touch with the family a little better over the next 20 years.

It was pleasant being off of the motorcycle for the day. I plan to spend one more day in Denton visiting with Mary and Dale, then start my trip homeward on Monday. Both Mary and Dale are fellow riders, and want to accompany me 100 miles or so westward through Texas for the first leg of my journey home. It will be nice to finally have some company will crossing the great western expanse. Even if only for a short while.

No comments: