Monday, February 9, 2009

21st Century Tom Joad...

As many high-tech workers can attest to... It was a good ride when business was good, but, all good things eventually come to an end. Unfortunately, I was caught in one of the many layoffs in the high-tech sector around Portland, Oregon, so I'm job-hunting again. The competition for the few remaining engineering positions around Portland is fierce, typically resulting in employers being inundated with resumes when positions open. Because of the economic uncertainty, most local employers have either frozen or eliminated hiring, so I'm forced to broaden my search for jobs.

In the fashion of the Joad family in the Steinbeck novel Grapes of Wrath, I'm loading up my motorcycle again for a 5k-mile journey through California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas armed with a stack of resumes to search for job opportunities along my route through the Sun Belt states.

My trip also serves a second purpose. I will get to visit family members I haven't seen in 30 years, and rekindle family ties long overdue. As usual with my past motorcycle trips, I will post my observations along the route here. And no, sorry, you won't see any photos of Granny in her rocking chair roped to the top of my bike, but I will try to include lots of scenery pictures as the ride evolves.

No comments: