Monday, September 10, 2012

Tree Hugger Redux... Day 3, mile 963, The Conflicted Ride Home.

I departed Eureka, CA this morning at 7:00 am to a chilly, but sunny 54 degrees. This was the hardest return trip departure I have made since my friend Mike is continuing south and building new trip memories while I make the long trek homeward again.

As I've mentioned in previous ride blogs, Day 3 of a ride has always been the crossover point in my attitude towards the ride. Typically after the second day, riding all day becomes 'natural', and you expect it in the following days. Everything revolves around the mileage conquered that day, and the experiences encountered while constantly moving to your next destination.

Except for loved ones, concerns at home seem much more distant, and you take comfort in your constantly-changing surroundings. I can see why the Gypsies preferred life on the move.

I arrived back in Vancouver, WA on Sunday night to Marti's loving arms, but secretly wished I was continuing on with Mike back in California. Cheers Mike! Share your posts with us!

No comments: